Saturday, September 4, 2010

Vamoose! Empower! Black Walnut!

A few months ago I signed up for the Canvas Project (offered by the same group that is sponsoring the Sketchbook Project).  Each of the 417 participants received 3 small 4x4" canvasses along with 3 words that had been randomly assigned.  The goal was to visually interpret those 3 words and return the canvasses by September 1. The canvasses will be on display at the Brooklyn Art Library on December 3 and will be published in the upcoming book, "Canvas Projects Encyclopedia Volume 2".

I was excited to find out my three words:

Empower
Vamoose
Black Walnut

I was not excited on August 28 to remember they were due on September 1.  I hadn't done a single thing to the blank canvasses except stash them in a box where they'd be safe from my other art studio hijinx.

Red alert!  Vite!  Andale, andale!  Chop, chop!  Tick, tock! There's no time like the present!  Godspeed, Cindy Pestka!

In a flurry of caffeine-fueled inspiration, here's what I came up with:

An unruly bird pulling along a banner:


A ruly bird in a power circle:


The chemical formulation for black walnut ink written with India Ink on black walnut ink stained tape:


The happy trio just before I stashed them in a box and ran to the Post Office:


The website says "due by August 31" but my letter also said "must be postmarked by September 1".  I am SERIOUSLY hoping that includes the day of September 1 because that's when they went out.

1 comment:

Beth E-R said...

I am introducing vamoose into my vocabulary immediately. And your unruly bird is the ideal subject for it!