Thursday, March 25, 2010

Like a crow...

A few weeks ago Piz and Tracie came over to have a little art playtime after work. While looking through this library book, we saw these really cool fairy wings made from wire, tissue paper and resin and decided to give it a whirl.
.
They're quite simple...we just formed rough wing shapes out of thicker wire and then wrapped skinny wire around a few times. Then we used Elmer's glue to attach a bit of metallic tissue paper to the wire. When that was dry we spread some Easy Cast epoxy resin (the "mix-2-equal-parts-of-the-2-bottles-together" stuff) on them, suspended them from a little dowel and let them dry. Here are the results...
.

I didn't make this sparkly wire "flower"; I saw it in a floral supply store, and like a crow was immediately drawn to its shiny-ness. "Oooooh, it sparkles...I want it" is pretty much the primitive state my brain reverts to in such situations. But look...it sparkles so nicely, doesn't it?
?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so, did you like the easy cast? was it simple to use, would you use it again? I want to try resin, but don't want to start w/ the most expensive one!I loved the yabas you showed, thanks for sharing

Cindy Pestka said...

The Easy Cast was pretty easy to use. I haven't tried Ice Resin which is getting so much press these days, so I can't say how it compares, but I'm pretty happy with this brand for now. I got a few books from the library and really tried experimenting and some stuff didn't turn out and some did, but since it was just a grand experiment that worked.