Thursday, February 11, 2010

Big Earl and I had a date...

I do love combining wonky little elements to create funky jewelry. The other day, after giving this little watch face the once-over, I saw that I could make a necklace pendant by combining it with a delicate golden tassel I reclaimed from goodness-only-knows-where. I used my nifty heavy-duty hole punch, lovingly nicknamed "Big Earl" to make a hole around 5:00-ish, popped in a jump ring, added the tassel and called it a victory.

Then I thought, "That went so well; why not make another hole around 11:00-ish?" Ahhh, gentle readers, I confess I got cocky. I rushed through the placement and ended up too close to the edge, thereby removing an unsightly little chunk, rather than making a neat hole.

Not to be deterred, I decided to cover up my mistake with multiple passes of wire, which actually turned out OK.

For the chains, I added a fun wing charm, also holified (is that a word?) by Big Earl. And I created this little embellishment by wiring a ready-made square and circle charm together. And should you be curious, I must confess I do not remember how Big Earl earned his moniker. I believe my friend Judy had one first, saw how much I coveted him and then graciously offered to pick up one for me from the hardware store. It was pretty much love at first sight.


No comments: