Friday, November 5, 2010

Follow the Bouncing Buoy!

Surely I cannot be the only person who remembers this public service commercial ditty from the 1960's:

"There is fun in the water
But there's danger too,
And you gotta swim well
So nothing happens to you!
Learn how to swim
At the YMCA.

Learn how to swim
But never swim alone,
There's safety in numbers
Don't strike out on your own!
And never dive
Unless you know,
The water's not too shallow
And it's clear beloooow!!

There is fun in the water
But there's danger too,
And you gotta swim well
So nothing happens to you!
Learn how to swim
At the YMCA..."


It's kind of like "The Song That Never Ends" because this one keeps spiraling around in my head with no hope of a finish. But as obsessions go, it's a fairly happy, harmless one...AND I can promise you that I will never, ever swim alone...even on Artgirl Island.

A few years ago I used "the google" to see if this song came up anywhere else, and one of the few references I found was in a blog by a guy who was a former Jeopardy champion. At least that's what he claimed. And really, it makes sense that only someone who had an amazing knack for memorizing facts and trivia would recall this obscure commercial. In all honesty I do NOT have any kind of knack for memorizing facts and trivia but I do tend to remember oddball lyrics of catchy tunes. Those who know me, or who have traveled on a road trip with me, would not be shocked to hear this revelation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pestka, you should be on Jeopardy!

Cindy Pestka said...

Only if the categories were "Obscure rhymes from your childhood" and "Your library card number".