Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Artistic Reinvention

Gentle Readers, I find myself not blogging these days. I suspect you already noticed that! I could say it's a combination of being busy (holidays and general life) and not having a working camera, but mostly it boils down to me losing steam / interest / motivation.

I notice that I do that with projects...start off crazy gung-ho, whirl like a dervish for a bit and then want to do something different ("ooooh, look...something shiny over there!)  I can't decide if that's all good or if there's a teensy, weensy lack of commitment on my part. 

In the art arena I've always got more ideas than time (increasing my blog readership, getting my art published, making / selling art, submitting ideas to magazines, a long-dormant book idea, teaching classes, photography, taking classes / going to retreats, remodeling my art studio). 

There is a fabulous richness to all of that.  And I feel somewhat scattered. 

I talked to my good friend, Julie Sotomura who's going through a similar inquiry. We decided to set aside some quiet time (oxymoron alert!) over the holidays and dive into this inquiry. Our goal is to create a clearing (mental and physical) for us to reinvent ourselves artistically.  I think answering these questions are key:


1.  Where do I really want to put my time?

2.  What is really important to me? 

3.  What are my motivations, my commitments, my priorities?  Am I doing xyz for money, recognition, sheer enjoyment, to make a difference for other people, to avoid doing other stuff?

4.  What stops me even when I am committed to something?

I think delving into questions #2 and 3 will automatically answer #1.  And getting a grip on #4 will keep #1 in action.

I'm not one to make New Year's resolutions, but there IS something about the end of a calendar year that prompts many of us to do this kind of decluttering / housekeeping in our lives.

So for now I'm focusing on getting my holiday cards and presents mailed (who am I kidding...BOUGHT and then mailed) and really enjoying social events with friends and loved ones (which means FOCUSING on what I'm doing rather than worrying about keeping the regular plates spinning in the air).

And then Julie and I will look behind Door Number One and behind the curtain and in the box Carol Merrill is pointing to and see what's in there.  And I will let you know what I find.

4 comments:

Beth E-R said...

Thanks for sharing what is on your mind and heart when it comes to your art. I hope the time you plan to set aside during the holidays bring you clarity.

Lisa of Lisa's Little House said...

There sure is something about reflection of the ending year...and hope/excitement/freshness about the new year. A re-do or a fresh page.
I can't wait to hear about your Artistic Reinvention...it will be fascinating, funny and heartfelt, I know.
xxoo,

deb christensen said...

boy, you took the words & thoughts right out of my mouth & head...thanks for sharing outloud, and letting the rest of us in the same boat know we aren't there alone!

Nina said...

Oh wow, I can defenately see my own behaviour-pattern here...
About my betrayal-post...I believe that memory came to mind as I met my mum and was overwhelmed by emotion as she is getting older and soon undergoing knee-surgery...
That is a memory that has been a little sore, and by writing about it I made it heal. Especially the comments I received were healing. I´m ok about it, of course, but my inner seven yrs old isn´t! And those comments were the best thing my inner seven yrs old could have. Someone who gives the exact right words so that you can let go of guilt. It´s funny how we can carry with us these sore memories for sooooo long. And suddenly when you open up and show your vulnerability, you are met with love and understanding and the memory is no longer sore.